26 May 2008

Memoirs of a Bookworm Part 2

Being Belisa...

If I were to live a life out of a character from a book…I would be Belisa Crepusculario. I would make a living out of words and spinning stories. I would wander from one place to another, trudging the edge of the earth until I find a worthy place, and like her I would set up a tent, with no advertisement or promotion of whatsoever, only wits, a formidable spirit and a gift to make optimum and artistic use of words.

My patrons shall arrive in droves and patiently wait for me to attend to their requirements. I would write love letters for my love struck patients and weave believable stories to take away the sorrows of distraught families caught in war and cases of hopelessness. I would also look forward to writing high and mighty speeches fit for the top official of the land. Like Belisa whose prominent name and talent travels as fast as the wind, my words shall be sought after by both noble and peasant, honest and crook, sick and healthy etc.

Going back to reality, I cannot imagine myself traveling from one place to another like a nomad peddling my wares to strangers. Well maybe in a lifetime I shall have a share of solid clients composed of family and friends. In this age where internet technology spells the big difference in the way people communicate, I feel that Belisa Crepusculario may not be able to compete and will be forced to close shop.

Currently almost everybody exchanges information in a speed of lightning through the internet. We sent letters both personal and professional through email. We are provided with a luxury to share a bit of ourselves, both real and imagined, through blogs, public emails and forums. The postal service is nearly becoming obsolete as majority are getting in the loop and are convinced that the internet is indeed the best and fastest way to get the message across. Now traffic is not only a condition in our roads, it has also become a phenomenon in cyberspace.

Some people say that we have come far in developing our means of communication but we have left out a major component which is the interpersonal. We no longer have the patience to wait for our mails to arrive nor take time to scribble our sentiments on paper. Given the above scenario, I would still want to be like Belisa Crepusculario and writing is just one way of becoming her. Heck! I just want to write so give me a break.

2 comments:

Eds said...

hi sis! yeheey... nagblog na sya ulit.

galing mo talaga magsulat.

more blog soon.... hehehe

mis you sis! take care always.

Purple Ink said...

Sis thanks for the one thousand and one hundred words of encouragement. You are on my "for keeps" list, luv yah!